View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Tennessee Wilderness Act of 2011 

Post Tennessee Wilderness Act of 2011
This is the 25th anniversary of the Tn Wilderness Act of 1986 that designated the first conservation lands in Tn. The TN Wild orginazation is pushing this bill that is sponsored by Sen. Alexander and Sen. Corker to devote an additional 19500 acres of Cherokee National Forest to Wilderness protection.

This bill originated as the TN Wildnerness Act of 2010, but never made it out of special committees. Now this bill has passed the Senate and will be up for House vote in 2012. That sounds like next year, but keep in mind the general assembly meets in Januaury.

This bill, to the best of my interpretation, doesn't stop any hunting in these areas. It will restrict motor vehicles and camping.

Part of the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness will be increased, the Big Frog and Little Frog Wildnerness areas, Sampson Mountain Wildnerness, and Big Laurel Branch. I almost forgot one...9038 acres of the expansion will be the Upper Bald River section in Tellico.

I just got the news of this passing the Senate from the TBHA this morning. I have tried all day to contact the USFS for some specifics on the law enforcement changes that will apply to hunters if this passes into law. I haven't had any calls returned yet, but I will post whatever info I get as soon as I get it.

Hunt Plotts!...While you still can...

Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:13 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Tennessee Wilderness Act of 2011
Thanks Dave and please keep us updated...

Todd

Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]